-->

Friday, June 02, 2006

what should a poem be about?

So I'm sitting here eating my lunch and contemplating poetry and it dawns on me that i can't think of a single poem right now which doesn't evoke either a feeling of melancholy or amusement. Surely, I think, you can write a verse about anything at all! It's what I believe about photography; there is a way of taking a photo which doesn't rely on the interestingness of the subject.

I reach inside my lunchbox and take out an orange...


ORANGE

What can I tell you about my orange?
Well
It’s round!
About the size of a cricket ball
And when I playfully toss it
It weighs roughly the same
But its skin is not like that ball!
But subtlety dimpled, like cellulite
Or an aroused scrotum
But when I squeeze it yields
Ever so slightly but firmly
But I am afraid to squeeze it harder
As I am at work right now
And I don’t have a spare shirt.

A poet sighed, nothing rhymes with orange
And I replied, what about blancmange?
And they explain why that’s adsurd and why
Poems are best not seen but heard.

1 Comments:

Blogger sandra said...

that is nice Ian, I like it very much, you have imagination and are able to see beyond ...congratulations for all your poetry section...!!

Tuesday, 20 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home