-->

Thursday, June 15, 2006

poetry thursday prompt #1

Poetry Thursday is a good place for me to experience poetry. for a poet numpty, like me, the more exposure to poetry, the less alien the stuff seems and, it follows, the more you get to appreciate it as expression.

this week's prompt is a suggestion to share some favourite poetry. this is more difficult than it seems as I'm only setting out on the journey but I did a bit of thinking and googling and, naturally, the BBC came up with an interesting site!

some time back, I remember an interview with writer and broadcaster Clive James on the occasion of his new book of poems. he was asked ''what makes a poem?''

unfortunately, I can't remember his answer.

no, I recall he said the difference between lyrics and poetry was that lyrics required music (duh?) whereas poetry came with its own music. (ah-hhhhha!) so, I'm thinking the reading - and the way it's read - is all important.

Now this BBC site Poetry Out Loud is ideal as it features recordings of some well-known poets reading their own work. How cool is that?!

I've always had a soft spot for comic verse; it's probably the most accessible genre.

I like John Hegley. One of his was included on the site (you need Realplayer which is unfortunately the worst media player on earth - sorry). I hope you can listen to it because I found it useful in understanding the phrasing and emphasis. I mean, I read it first and listened later and found that Hegley read it far better than I did. Well, he would - he wrote it!

On the Booze (listen here)

My dad very rarely drank
but one time when he did
my mother blew her lid rather
and leaving the lather
and the sink
she said you stink
you stink of drink
you've tried to hide it with a peppermint
but I don't think it's done the job
because you blinking stink Bob
it's obnoxious
let some air through
open the windows will you
and the door.
He had had two halves of lager
Three days before.

Copyright: John Hegley.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian russell said...

i like the way he gets into the character of his mum on the line; ''because you blinking stink Bob''.

it's as if his mum wants to add strong emphasis to her expression of disgust, but she's not happy with strong language. ''blinking'' is all she can muster but even that can't be surrendered without a fight. there are quite a few women I can image saying that line like that.

this is enlightening to me: it suggests a poem has to be said more than read. it's an oral tradition of passing on a story within a song.

Friday, 16 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home