-->

Monday, October 09, 2006

one deep breath prompt

one deep breath : countryside.

1

rising brilliance
the fair autumn countenance
of a harvest moon

2

the moonlight farmers
a new satellite guiding
invisible lines

3

fusion of wet leaves
mud and yeasty cattle feed
autumn country smells



*

a late harvest moon this year, october 6th - it was a beauty, just the minimum of cloud cover, wonderfully illuminated. I had to taxi my daughter to a village 20 miles away, so I had a good view all the way. but did I have my camera? no! :o(

also saw a few headlights in the fields that night - tractors doing tractoring stuff. I don't know what they'd be doing right now, possibly harvesting, or fertilizing, or liming, or just ploughing in the stubble. they do it by global satellite positioning now, I'm told - the harvest moon is just coincidental.

I love those autumn smells, it's a season for all the senses. the mud reminds me a little of the rugby season starting at school, those mouldy old boots never got cleaned. I'm really keen on the smell of those cattle cakes; I don't know what goes in them but I could be persuaded to try a bowl for breakfast - full of malty goodness! - though I suspect they might increase my milk yield too. ;o)

10 Comments:

Blogger SLW said...

Wonderful imagery, Ian! And thanks for the further explanation, so I could get why the satellite showed up in your poetry. Keep 'em coming!

Monday, 09 October, 2006  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Excellent haiku!! One of the most beautiful moons I've ever seen.

Monday, 09 October, 2006  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Excellent haiku! Especially the first two. I like the play between the moon and the new satellite.

Monday, 09 October, 2006  
Blogger Jodi said...

Beautiful haiku. I too am sad I didn't capture the recent harvest moon.

Monday, 09 October, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

I too enjoyed the explanation - it would never have occurred to me that tractors would work at night. A nice set of haiku.

Monday, 09 October, 2006  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

wonderful images and language ... absolutely brilliant!

Monday, 09 October, 2006  
Blogger Larry Kollar said...

I can certainly relate to the last one, but all of them speak to me on some level…

Monday, 09 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The third one brought back my childhood on a dairy farm...very pungent...very true. Especially liked your use of the word fusion. Thanks for reminding me.

Monday, 09 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been awhile since I've visited all the ODB contributors. These are wonderful, Ian. I especially like the second and so appreciate the explanations given.

Tuesday, 10 October, 2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

These were all excellent but that last one I could smell :) Good thing you left out the dung! LOL

Tuesday, 10 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home