-->

Sunday, June 18, 2006

sunday scribbling prompt

I'm not sure Sunday Scribbling is about poetry though I don't see why not. This is my modus operandi for sunday scribbling:

first reaction is wtf am I going to write about that?
then I take several deep breaths and tell myself it doesn't matter if I don't do one every week...
then I come up with one reasonably viable idea
then the dominoes begin to topple
at this stage I have to fire up word and type in a list of ideas else I will surely forget
(if the prompt is published on thursday or friday and I'm at work, I'll jot them down on a piece of paper. sometimes I think this is a better way to go.)
then I stare at the list a lot looking for the story...

this sunday, with poems on my mind, the list resembled a poem so I stuck my neck on the block and arranged some lines as best I could. I know you can't get away with writing a great poem off the cuff - it needs to be crafted - but I can always return and improve it later.

This week's Sunday Scribbling prompt is Bed.


I've Made My Bed and Now I Must Lie In It

Clean cool sheets and pillow cases
Newly laundered and freshly scented
A snap induced billow, marvelling at the graceful descent
We try to do hospital corners, she is better than me
She calls mine abattoir corners but I tell her
In the dark no one will see

A warm bath before and the window slightly ajar
Sleep nude, naked as the day we were born
Often this is the only opportunity we have
A cool body induces a gentle repose, and in bed
There's no need for silly clothes and as I've said
In the dark no one will see

1 Comments:

Blogger Joy Eliz said...

Lovely, fantastic!!!
Well done!!

Sunday, 18 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home