-->

Thursday, July 20, 2006

poetry thursday prompt

poetry thursday: SEX

Is a pop lyric prosody? In the end does it really matter...? this old, old song came to mind;


My SEX

My sex
Waits for me
Like a mongrel waits
Downwind on a tight rope leash

My sex
Is a fragile acrobat
Sometimes I'm a novocaine shot
Sometimes I'm an automat

My sex
Is often solo
Sometimes it short circuits then
Sometimes it's a golden glow

My sex
Is invested in
Suburban photographs
Skyscraper shadows on a carcrash overpass

My sex
Is savage, tender
It wears no future faces
Owns just random gender

My sex
Has a wanting wardrobe
I still explore
Of all the bodies I knew and those I want to know

My sex
Is a spark of electro flesh
Leased from the tick of time
And geared for synchromesh

My sex
Is an image lost in faded films
A neon outline
On a high-rise overspill

My sex
My sex.

(John Foxx)



SEX

Before Midge Ure, before electronic, before punk
before our sex, before real sex, before any kind of sex
was My Sex. Dirty, sweaty, hot and wet, bodies pressed
and moving rythmically, impulsively reciprocating, the beat
overloading my senses, your voice, drowning whispers, and screams
and the sweet-bitter smell of our wasted fluids, spilt and mingling
on the floor. up hard, upfront, rough against the edge, the pedestal
and ivory tower, the stage at the Marquee Club, Wardour Street west one.

I wasn't a fan, my friend was but
in those days I was up for anything.



I'm still learning about poetry appreciation and I know the serious writing will only follow the appreciation. So I didn't intend to write a poem but once I have it on my mind, the urge to form verse from prose is too tempting. However, if anything it's a rough first draft (more likely a bit of whimsical nostalgia that I won't recover the passion to get back to!)

I'm not entirely happy with the metre - I'm suspicious that I'm not going to be a big fan of free verse, ''playing tennis without a net'' sort of game. I'm a beat fiend, probably the same wiring that prevents me being keen on classical music, I don't know.

You can pick up old Ultravox! Best of... CD for less than four quid at Amazon. By old I mean the pre-Midge Ure, original arthouse line up. I don't know what my ears would make of them now - but I'm tempted. Four quid won't even buy a round of drinks - unless maybe you're at the Ultravox! Appreciation Society's annual dinner & dance.

I've to get back to paid employment this minute and have to leave it unfinished for now...
Laters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home