-->

Thursday, October 19, 2006

poetsday

The minutiae of Life & the two-minute poem;


things I avoid

I am a product of my time and place
and I avoid that which isn't mine;
the saccharine, maudlin, inner weeping
and wailing, soul-searching, self-pity
tearing of clothes, and angst negativity.
I would take these things and bake them hard
in a cake of concrete: a lifesaver
ring tossed from the bridge to those drowning
and after a hundred years, when the river
has dried parched and the cement crumbled to
nothing, I will have been gone a long time.

*

this one was definitely two minutes, it's like a pop-gun of thought.
but is it true? don't ask me, I'm barely a poet, not a psychologist!
yet each moment of life is a completed work, there are no second drafts. ;o)

4 Comments:

Blogger claireylove said...

guess you'll find me at the bottom of the river than ;-)

Thursday, 19 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one cake that's not tempting.
Every draft lives it's own life. Something is lost in each revision- so it's all valid work, right?

Thursday, 19 October, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you naughty boy...a concrete lifesaver?? Perhaps just to be over and done with it..Is in a sense saving sonmething..I bet as they were pulled down..they would stop all their whining...and kick hard for the surface..

Thursday, 19 October, 2006  
Blogger Ian russell said...

the grain that's been ground will germinate no more - but you can bake a cake with it.

but can you bake the same cake twice? ;o)

valid, validus, strong! i would wish that. i would wish to see a complexity of expression in poetry. i still need convincing. :o)

do you need saving, bb? i don't think so.

wendy, i just caught you in time. it is all about what we avoid - provocation, controversy. yes, a fight for the surface. ;o)

Thursday, 19 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home